Welcome text

Not ignoring the big things, just enjoying the little things.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Badgers Are Not Beavers.

I found myself in the mall yesterday with my mom and sister. I was looking for a new pair of jeans, and given that I'm awful at scouring shelves for clothes myself, I invited them along. As part of the deal, I allowed them to drag me around the mall as they shopped as well.

It wasn't long after I had found myself a nice pair of jeans that we exited a store involving a lot scented liquids with keywords like "Age defying" and "Revitalizing" and my mom saw a store called The Art of Shaving. She had been doing some research about shaving for Father's Day, when she got my dad a nice shaving brush. Piqued by her new interested in male grooming rituals, she led me into the store to show me all she had learned.

I was fascinated by the complexity of the shaving-cream applicators (also known as "brushes"). It turns out they're quite expensive and made out of the very unique hair of the badger. Long story short, I gave in and bought a set to give it a go, but then I realized something: I have no clue what a badger is. I've seen cartoon badgers (along with mushrooms and snakes), and I understand that their name is a euphemism for annoyance, but I've never actually seen a badger. My sister seemed to confuse them with beavers, but after a brief conversation with my her, we also came to the conclusion that badgers are not, in fact, beavers.


Badgers and beavers are actually quite different. They're not even in the same biological Order as each other.While beavers live in rivers and streams, building dams, badgers live along the plains, digging holes and hunting prairie dogs alongside coyotes. Badgers are weasels. Beavers are rodents.

Badgers have many different styles of hair on them, so more expensive brushes come from different parts of a badger. Apparently badger hair is so fine it can penetrate the pores of one's skin in order to coax up unruly facial hair trying to escape the wrath of the blade. This allows a much closer, less irritating shave.

Anyway, I look forward to using my new shaving cream brush. And now, for your entertainment, a picture of a real badger:



And finally, for another pointless comparison, complete with a yodeling introduction, I bring you Danny Elfman and his cult 80's band, Oingo Boingo:

No comments:

Post a Comment