Welcome text

Not ignoring the big things, just enjoying the little things.

Friday, July 30, 2010

The Apple Church

If you go to my church (and judging by Google Analytics there's about an 80% chance you do), you know that we can safely claim that we are the closest church to Apple HQ. You can see the Infinite Loop 4 and 5 over the fence of the parking lot. Obviously, we have a pretty decent population of Apple employees attending the church. Not only that, but given that we're in Silicon Valley, we're a pretty tech-savvy church.

Or at least we should be.
Not my church.

Surprisingly enough, I'd say that my church's tech-level is "on par". The website is simple, there are no flat-panel TV screens, and even the projectors are a little dull. I actually consider this a good thing. I like the fact that my church doesn't bother itself with purchasing frivolous technology so we can put on a show. But I think we can be better at using our skills.

I've been reading a book about worship lately called "For the Beauty of the Church: Casting a Vision for the Arts". It's incredible, and I'd highly recommend it. It's really helping me feel better about the purpose of worship, and what constitutes as worship. I think one of my favorite quotes from the book is "Worship cannot be explained in terms of its usefulness. It is not the realm of the useless exactly, but the incapable-of-being-expressed-as-useful." (36). This is a nightmare for engineers, since we're so utilitarian in our thinking. But I think the hardest thing for engineers like me to really come to terms with is that nothing we do for God is useful to Him, yet we still should out of an overflow of our desires to express our hearts to Him.

Art is specifically in this realm of "incapable-of-being-expressed-as-useful", as art serves no immediate purpose, and even after it's created, it usually serves a purpose completely different than was originally intended. However, I think we all know that some of the greatest artwork, architecture, and music of all time was created out of worship.


If you think about it, there's really no reason to have a lavish cathedral, decorations, or music. The most efficient church would be a giant warehouse. Structurally solid, with a decent enough sound system so everyone could hear the message. But I think the reason we have stained glass windows, decorative crosses, and beautiful music is to help us express more than our feeble human bodies can express on their own. A dull warehouse doesn't inspire awe, but kneeling before a giant cross is a great way to actively enter into relationship with God. Or, as the book lists: "Praising, confessing, lamenting, thanking, being convicted, being inspired, being comforted." (55). Those actions are the end-goal of worship. The purpose of a powerful message, a beautiful song, or artistic interpretation of a scene or emotion, is to help you enter into that goal, whatever you heart needs to do in response to God.

What does this have to do with having a bunch of tech-savvy Apple employees attending my church? I believe that as Christians we should be inspired to be on the cutting edge of technological development that encourages people to enter into worship. Apple is the cutting edge of basic technological development. I don't see why the same people who come up with the next awesome yet unnecessary product aren't using that same creativity to worship God. But please, let's not make a Christian version of the iPad.

Michelangelo's "David" was not a Christian version of a sculpture.

It was form and beauty.

The Sistine Chapel's ceiling was not a Christian version of a mural.

It was art and expression.

Is software engineering able to be as artistic and creative as architectural engineering?

Is it possible to make a technological masterpiece?

No comments:

Post a Comment