Welcome text

Not ignoring the big things, just enjoying the little things.

Monday, July 12, 2010

An Adventure! Don Pedro Lake

Whenever I go on adventures, my goal is to write about them, and thus prove to myself that my life isn't nearly as boring as I think. This generally involves me actually taking my camera with me, which is something I need to practice more. This weekend I went to Don Pedro Lake with the college group for some awesome waterskiing. Lucky for me, other more practiced camera-bringer-alongers went on this adventure with me, so I stole pictures from Facebook to make up for my lack of camera usage.

First, I have to say that this was my first time driving in a real, multiple-hour-long caravan. I also got to bring up the rear The rear position, though not the leader the most heroic position. I was the protector of the middle cars in the caravan. If a car ever disappeared in traffic, my goal was to find it. I would let it know that even though we can't see the caravan anymore, at least you're not alone in your lostness. It also happens to be the best position from which to pelt the other cars in the caravan with biodegradable water balloons. Take that, Ranger Rick.

We got to the lake at around 2:00 on Friday, and got in a boat as fast as possible. After some wakeboarding and tubing, we broke the boat. I think the rudder was about to fall off or something. We idled to a shallow area and held the boat in place as the owner, Chad, worked on it, trying to find a way to make sure the rudder didn't make a break for it to go hang out with the crawdads.

We headed to camp after that, and had a great time of eating and hanging out, followed by some worship and testimonies. Then we slept under the stars. There were a ton, which is awesome because I think the only thing I can see from San Jose is Orion's Belt and the Big Dipper.



The next morning we went out on some jet skis, then the boat again (which now had a much happier rudder) and I got to give slalom skiing a shot. I ate it. A lot. I got up a lot, but couldn't control it. I think I learned more about diving into the water at 30 mph than I did about controlling the slalom ski, but it was still a ton of fun. Then Chad treated his boat like a jet ski and tossed us around until the deck on the back broke. We pulled it off and headed for the patio boat as Chad took the boat in for repairs.

After some food, more jet skiing, and swimming, we were about ready to head in for the day. We tried to pull up the anchor, and then we tried again. And again and again. It was stuck on something, so we maneuvered the boat until we were afraid something would break. Then one guy realized that he could actually move the anchor rope a little bit. So we all helped him and:
Something must be wrong with the sun, because I look really pale.

Yes, we pulled up a tree. Freakin' sweet, I'd say.
Turns out the lake rose 75 feet over the past year because of extra rain, and trees that were on land last year were at the bottom of the lake, ready to grab hold of any anchor who dared to drop near them. After feeling totally awesome about ourselves, we headed back to the marina, where our boat died and we had to be pushed to the dock by the people who run the marina.

So, all-in-all, a successful Saturday!

We went to the camp again for another night of food, hanging out, stories and worship.

Sunday morning, we went out on the lake again, but I was badly sunburned so I didn't want to do too much. While we were waiting for a boat to come to shore, a couple strangers came by and asked if anyone would like to come with them in their boat, since they need at least 3 people to waterski legally. I wasn't paying attention and assumed it was one of our boat drivers so I agreed to go along, and asked Tracey if she wanted to come, too. Only then did I realize I had no idea who these people were and I was setting us up for a situation that may result in our faces being put on the back of a milk carton.


But they had a puppy named Cha-cha, so it would have been worth it.

I was constantly scouring the boat for something to use as a weapon in case the couple we were with decided to murder us. In the end, there was no death involved that we know of.


Johnny the Frog may never have made it all the way to shore, however.

We actually had a great time just sitting in the boat with the wind blowing in our faces as we took a tour around parts of the lake we had never been to. It was a beautiful end to an amazing weekend.

Most photos courtesy of Stephen Lee

1 comment: