Welcome text

Not ignoring the big things, just enjoying the little things.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Discipline

I've realized that I pretty much only respond to important things when they
  1. get totally out of hand
  2. are life-threatening
  3. are emailed to me as a reminder
Housework, school work (Booyah! Not anymore!!!) work-work, devotional time...everything. I pretty much need to be spoon-fed in order for anything to get accomplished.

Which is why I've decided that the best way to solve this problem is to have everything email me its needs.





 If anyone invents appliances that hook into WiFi and email you updates, I would forever be in your debt.

A couple weeks ago I was with a group discussing ways we keep a devotional time up. One person mentioned "when I feel like it...it feels more natural that way". One thing I've learned about love is that it's something you won't always feel, but the important thing is to continually choose to love someone, even when you don't feel like it. You show God that you choose to love Him by continuing your devotional time even when you're not in the mood.

But you have to figure out what works for you. I've never been able to keep a schedule. I'm just not a schedule person. I decided to go through the Bible in a year, and the only way I can keep that up is by having each day's reading sent to me via RSS feed on my Google Reader. I get to read 15-20 minutes of the Bible every day before diving into all the blogs I read. Once I'm done with this year, I plan on having a shorter, more "contemplative" reading every day instead. But for now, I'm sticking with the daily 1/365th of the Bible.

The problem is prayer time - I can read any time I'm free at my computer desk, but praying is something that needs to be done quietly, alone. I'm generally not in that situation when I'm looking at a computer, so I need to figure out how to become disciplined about that. How do you become disciplined about prayer without being a schedule person? If you're a successful pray-er and aren't a schedule person, let me know how you figured it out!

2 comments:

  1. This is kind of silly, but when I was working on my 11th step I made a giant hot pink sign that said HAVE YOU TALKED TO YOUR HIGHER POWER TODAY?? and taped it on my bedroom door. Every time I left the room or closed the door after coming back in I would see it, and that was a good reminder throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started talking to God when I was walking from place to place in college, just about whatever I was thinking. It eventually became something I did more often, so now I don't really feel like I need to sit and be alone to pray. Of course, it is good to have the discipline also. I'm hoping to spend five minutes every morning praying for my students this school year ... we'll see ...

    ReplyDelete